Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day - 2011

Today is Memorial Day 2011. A day to remember and honor all who have served and are today serving our great country. It is with great pride I honor the men and women who gave their lives defending our country. I want to take a moment to remember what today is truly all about. The day is meant to honor all who gave their lives in military service in all of America’s wars protecting our freedoms, and we must also remember to honor those who are willing to give the ultimate sacrifice every day. The men and women in our armed forces are unmatched. Each of them has given of themselves and volunteered to fight the nation's wars. Their sacrifice and courage should remind us of our commitment to support them not just today, but every day. The freedoms we enjoy are paid for by those we honor, both the fallen and those still fighting. Our nation is truly thankful. Freedom is not free.
My oldest brother served during WW II in the Navy in the South Pacific. My next brother (deceased) served during WW II in the U.S. Army Air Corps, which later became the Air Force. My younger brother served in the Navy during the Korean War and was injured during wartime operations off the shores of North Korea. My sincerest thanks to them for their service. I served in the Army Paratroopers at the very end of WW II. I did so little I'm almost reluctant to mention it. The war ended just weeks after I completed my basic training. Shortly thereafter I served on Occupation Duty in Japan with the 11th Airborne Division. Later, when in college I was called to active duty during the Korean War but was deferred for ROTC training . By the time I received my Lieutenant commission the Korean War was winding down and I was assigned to a Reserve Unit.
Again, my heartfelt thanks to my brothers and all of those who served and are now serving our nation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home