Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Bitter Cold

It is bitter cold with a 25 to 35 mph blustery wind howling out of the north. It is 11:30 p.m. and the temperature is 23 °F. Very unusual for our part of Texas. It was 69 °F at 4:30 this morning just before the cold front came through at 5:00 a.m. The chill factor this evening must be about 12 °F. Makes me think about my days working on the North Slope of Alaska during the early days of initial construction. I fed the cows an extra portion of hay in the hay lot so they would be out of the wind. Later I checked everything at the pumphouse, the barn and the apartment to be sure all are winterized. Hope nothing freezes. I don't know where the cows went. I thought they would have stayed in the hay lot sheltered from the north wind, but then cows do what cows do.
Other parts of the country north of us are having it really bad with drifting snow, icy conditions, and strong winds. At least we have no snow or icing, just windy bitter cold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home