Sunday, May 04, 2008

Red-Tail Hawk Chick Flies

Today was the day when one of the red-tail hawk chicks decided to leave the nest. I was working in the backyard and suddenly heard a commotion of hawk cries. Some were adult shrieks, others were the sounds a chick makes. I actually didn't see what happened. Don't know if it left of its own accord, or fell out, or was pushed out. Anyhow, I looked up in time to see the chick glide and flap its wings a few times and make it about 75 yards to a lower branch of an old dead oak tree just outside the east corral. Mother hawk glided in and perched on a limb about 5 feet above the chick. Both were making a lot of noise. I went in to get the binoculars, but they were gone when I got back outside. I could hear them farther out in the wooded area south of the barn. I looked at the nest through the binoculars and the other chick was sitting on the edge flapping its wings and chirping though they don't really chirp. Its more like a screech, or something between a chirp and a screech. I heard "mama hawk" and "baby hawk" from time to time all afternoon out in the wooded area. The last I heard them late this afternoon they were somewhere out in the east pasture near a few large trees about 150 yards from the tree with the nest. Couldn't see them, but could hear them. Hope the little guy makes it. I'll know in a few days if I see a second hawk circling around with "mama hawk".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home