Thursday, May 01, 2008

RED-TAIL HAWKS

We have a rather large yard (2.5 acres) with 62 large oak trees. Some are live oaks, some are post oaks, and some are what I call "swamp oaks". They are all tall reaching about 60 to 70 feet to the tops. We also have a few tall pines and a tall magnolia. This spring I noticed a large bird nest high up (about 45 feet) in the fork of one of the oaks. From time to time I saw a pair of red-tail hawks flying to and from the nest. Today, my wife was in the backyard with me and she heard some strange sounds coming from the direction of the nest. I looked and thought I saw some kind of movement, but it was so far I couldn't tell what it was. She got the binoculars and we looked. Sure enough there are two baby red-tails in the nest that we saw. Don't know if there is a third one or not. We saw the mama hawk fly in several times to feed them. The way they are sitting up on the edge of the nest they are probably about ready to try their wings. It will be interesting to watch them learn to fly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home