Friday, May 01, 2015

When Confronted by Police

Its simple.  First, do not do anything to give police cause to confront you.   Sometimes it can't be avoided.  If confronted by the police do not run.  Do not resist.  Follow their instructions.  Answer their questions.  If you have done nothing against the law they will release you as soon as that fact can be determined, and will apologize.  When a person runs or resists that raises suspicion and the police act accordingly, and usually someone gets hurt.

Twice in my life time I've been detained by the police and cuffed.  They had every reason to suspect me, but once it was determined I was not the suspect they apologized and released me.

The first time my sweetheart (later my wife) and I had been out on a date.  We returned to her home (she lived with her grandparents) about midnight.  She had a private entrance to her room near the back of the house.  We stood on the steps for quite a long time smooching and saying goodnight.  We saw a patrol car go down the alley flashing a spotlight around.  We didn't think much about it.  I later learned from the police someone had called in a prowler complaint.  When I finally left I ran down the driveway between the houses, across the street, jumped into my car, and drove away.  I'd gone about two blocks when the red lights hit me.  I didn't run.  Didn't resist.  They immediately cuffed me and then asked questions.  They were sure I was the suspect until I asked them to take me to my sweetheart's house and her grandfather would vouch for me.  They did.  Had to roust grandpa out of bed but he vouched for me. They apologized and released me.  Grandpa grumbled a little, but took it in good nature.

The second time I was in Cumberland, MD on a business trip staying at a motel.  A shopping mall was nearby.  After hours I walked the few blocks to the mall to do a little shopping.  When I left the mall it was dark, misty rain.  I was wearing a raincoat with collar turned up and a cap.  I was carrying a small brown sack with some gift items for my wife and little boy.  I was just outside the perimeter of the mall lights when three police officers confronted me.  I did not run.  I did not resist.  They immediately cuffed me then looked in the brown sack.  Just gift items.  After they looked at my ID and some questioning they released me with apologies.  They explained that I met the description of a man that had just robbed the bank in the mall and had the teller put the money in a small brown sack.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home