Sunday, March 16, 2014

An Old Movie - WW III?


I've seen this movie before.

I'm an old guy.  Born in the late 1920's, grew up in the 30's, and served in the army at the end of WW II.  I feel like I'm watching a replay of a familiar movie I saw a long time ago. The only difference is this movie has a different set of characters, but the roles and lines are the same. . . . a dictator flexing his muscles for the world to see, moving troops into smaller independent enclaves on the pretense of protecting the people, but never-the-less occupying territories beyond his international boundaries.  All the while his Western adversaries dawdle helplessly trying to decide what to do while doing little but wring their hands thinking and hoping words will soothe the relentless desires of the ego-driven dictator.

I recall the ending of the previous movie with gut wrenching memories of the sacrifices in blood and treasure that brought about an eventual peaceful ending.  I now sit in my seat watching the opening scenes of this movie unfold before my very eyes fearful the characters in charge of the "good guys" are, if push comes to shove, up to the task of protecting our nation and righting the wrongs.  I fear as this movie unfolds it will become even more horrendous with more gruesome and unwelcome outcomes before the finale.

Is WW III looming on the distant horizon?  If so, it will make WW II look like a picnic in the park.
 
It's astonishing that in 4,000 years of civilization mankind has never learned to live in peace and harmony with its neighbors, but instead have learned better, faster and more effective ways to hone the weapons of warfare from the stone-ax to the atom bomb, to quicker kill more and more people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home