Friday, September 20, 2019

BLACKFACE
   What’s all this obsession with blackface?
   For years minstrel shows were an acceptable form of American entertainment developed in the early 19th century.  The shows consisted of comic skits, variety acts, dancing, and music performances that often depicted people of African descent.  It never occurred to people they were being racist when they applied blackface to participate in a show.  I don’t think I ever heard the word racist until I was a student in college.  
   I remember in the 3rd grade our class performed some kind of a minstrel show program for the school.  I don’t remember much about it, but I do remember that several mothers applied blackface on kids for certain parts.  I remember Arbry Lee, a classmate and friend.  His mother, Mrs. Davis, was one of the mothers.  I don’t remember anything about the program.  But, I do remember how much Mrs. Davis scrubbed to get all that blackface off my face.
   So, 80 years later am I now a racist?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home