Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Lost Art of Conversation

I believe our younger generations have lost the art of conversation.  I see them everywhere with their eyes fixed on small gadgets in their hands and with listening plugs in their ears.  They appear to be almost oblivious to their surroundings as they go about their daily functions.

At the gym where I go three times a week I see many of the same people time and again, but never speak or get to know them.  They have ear plugs listening to music, I suppose, as they workout.  While they rest they sit holding one of those gismos working it with their thumbs and looking intently at the miniature screen.  A few of the older folks at the gym are mostly the ones I know and converse with.

When my wife and I go into restaurants we see the younger people (by younger I mean under the age of 55) at tables with eyes fixed on the gadgets in hand and little or no conversation.  It's not uncommon for us to see a young couple having dinner with heads down fingering the hand held gadgets. We wonder who they are communicating with.  Each other, maybe.

Just today we had lunch in a small restaurant.  A couple was at one table.  A couple with two kids were at another table.  Five people were at a larger table.  All were using those small hand held gadgets.  Even the kids had one.  My wife and I were amazed.  The table of five did have some occasional conversation, and the two kids were sometimes noisy, but for the most part they played with their gadgets as they ate their meals.

Is this just a phenomena that will pass with time, or will it become a permanent part of the social culture?  Will all the people eventually actually loose the art of vocal conversation?      

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home